palmers solicitors in Bedfordshire Menu solicitors in Bedford

Registering an Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA)

An Enduring Power of Attorney is a document which gives someone the legal power to make decisions about someone else’s property and money.
The person appointed in called the ‘attorney’ and the person giving the power is called the ‘donor’.

EPA’s were commonly used in the UK prior to 2007, when they were replaced with the newer and more versatile Lasting Power of Attorney.

Since 2007 it has no longer been possible to create a new Enduring Power of Attorney, contact ushowever, EPA’s created before 2007 do remain valid.

For those who already have an EPA, written before 2007, or have a family member or loved one with an EPA, it is critical to understand the rules and procedures for using them.

If someone loses mental capacity, for example due to Dementia, Alzheimer’s disease or an accident, the EPA needs to be registered before it can come into effect. Once it is activated then the appointed attorney can take over handling that person’s affairs on their behalf. The appointed attorney needs to register the EPA with the Office of the Public Guardian.

We can help you with the EPA registration and we can also advise you on other aspects of EPA’s, such as the rules and regulations for using the powers, or how to tackle cases of misuse of the powers.

For assistance with an EPA, or any other related area, please contact us.